Vulnerable customers experience specific obstacles in managing their money and are significantly more likely to end up in financial difficulty as a result. Our panel discussed:
- What is meant by a vulnerable consumer, and how can digital technology help in defining vulnerability?
- The challenges that vulnerable customers face in relation to managing their finances, how these challenges evolve in collections situations, and how they vary across sectors such as utilities, consumer finance and more.
- What are current best practice standards for identifying vulnerability, and how is digital technology being used in the process?
- The role of digital technology when vulnerable customers are in financial difficulty.
The debate was chaired by Fred Crawley (consulting editor, Credit Strategyand chair of the DBC for Collections). Fred was joined by:
- Chris Fitch – vulnerability lead, Money Advice Trust.
- Jake Beavan – policy manager, Citizens Advice.
- Martin O’Donnell – lead digital analyst, Capquest.
- Rachel O’Connor – senior commercial manager, distressed & vulnerable customers, Barclaycard.
- Bill Hill – senior consulting client partner, Experian.
Credit Strategy interviewed some of the panel ahead of the debate. Read more here:
- 60 Second Interview with Chris Fitch
- 60 Second Interview with Jake Beavan
- 60 Second Interview with Martin O’Donnell
- 60 Second Interview with Rachel O’Connor
Experian is the world’s leading global information services company. During life’s big moments – from buying a home or a car, to sending a child to college, to growing a business by connecting with new customers – we empower consumers and our clients to manage their data with confidence.
We help individuals to take financial control and access financial services, businesses to make smarter decisions and thrive, lenders to lend more responsibly, and organisations to prevent identity fraud and crime.
We have more than 16,000 people operating across 37 countries and every day we’re investing in new technologies, talented people and innovation to help all our clients maximize every opportunity. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange (EXPN) and are a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
Learn more at Experianplc.com, or visit our global content hub at our global news blog for the latest news and insights from the Group.